Saturday, January 23, 2010

What do you think of married couples with hyphenated names?

Good or bad idea?





http://www.jibjab.com/view/207449What do you think of married couples with hyphenated names?
Basically I prefer to take the man's name; won't make any difference to the person I already am; after all it's only a name. However, there are much nicer combos that per se Wang-Holder; something like Sweet-Darling for instance.


Edit Letion: get your dang mind our of the cows %26lt;cough%26gt; in other words it's about time to come out for air. Slave indeed!!!What do you think of married couples with hyphenated names?
Bad idea. It's confusing.





If taking a man's surname is demeaning - and I don't think it is - isn't it worse to take her father's surname and add it to her husband's? If she used her mother's surname, that came from her grandfather. It would make more sense for the couple to choose a new surname for themselves. As Mike T says, it shows commitment if they both change their name.





For practical reasons, it's easier if the woman either keeps her own name or uses his. If they hyphenate their names, they'll have trouble with forms all the time, and their children will have to decide which name to drop when they marry.
bad idea. what do you do when two people with hypenated last-names want to marry? Do you go into quadruple last-names?





the montage was very funny, btw.





Edit: I think it is okay if the woman keeps her maiden name, or hyphenates, but I do not think that the husband and the kid should have hyphenated names.





An alternate solution: I know a family where one kid has the dad's last name and one kid has the mom's last name. This way both names stay into the next generation.
I work in the medical field and find it very difficult to locate patients in my system when they have a hyphenated name.





That being said, traditionally, the woman should take the last name of the husband. But now as society is changing, I can see the need to keep both names (ie: your child shares your maiden name, your business is named after your maiden name, etc).
I don't intend on taking my husband's last name or hyphenating. Of course, I'm 31 and I'm professionally established with my maiden name. I've accomplished things that I'm proud of and my name is an integral part of that and of who I am.





And if a man has a problem with this and decides it's a marriage deal breaker isn't anyone I'd want to be married to anyway.





That said, I wouldn't correct anyone who called me Mrs. His-last-name. And any kids would have his name - no hyphenating the kid's name. I think that's just making things difficult and confusing.
Well, I used to think ';I am going to keep my own last name - this hyphenated business is pretentious and cumbersome.'; The I realized that my last name is my father's last name...not my mom's so really I am just keeping another man's title attached to me. I think it is a romantic gesture, name changing. I think for lots of couples, gay - straight - whatever- it is simply a symbol of unity. I think it is only demeaning if the intention is demeaning. That being said...I still haven't changed my name from my father's to my husband's yet...
Personally hyphenated names annoy me. I understand that a woman may want to keep her name for personal reasons, business reasons, etc but a hyphenated last name is like a cop out to me. Either you decide to join your husband's family and pick up his name or you decide to assert the fact that you are your own person and keep your maiden name.
Great idea - there's no point in following a tradition that doesn't mean anything to you. And it's romantic idea. Both joining names, and combining your legacies to make a new legacy.


My hubby and I don't hypernate we completely joined names. his is so spcial because we are the ONLY couple in the whole world that have this name :-)
I think its a good idea. If a women wants to still show her connection to her family, its her choice. This way both partners are equally represented. Although...if they both have really long last names, that'll be one heck of a signature.





However, I am taking my husbands name when we get married. Its tradition and it doesn't really bother me. I still feel like I'm an equal in the relationship.
If the names are short, or shes a professional with degrees in her maiden name, its fine. Or if he has a really difficult name.


Even if she just wants to keep her name, its awkward when the kids come along, but if she doesn't mind the explanations, that's her business.


I've seen some older people get sort of upset by it. I'm sixty and it doesn't bother me though so I must mean older, older.
It don't think its a bad idea, its that's women's choice if she would like to keep her name and add on her husbands' name or just use his name. I know women out there that don't even use the husbands name in a lot of business things because people knew that person before the marriage.
If the woman wants to keep her maiden name in between hubbies last name its all good, hubby and children shouldnt have hypenated names though. Imagine what last names would be like in a few generations.





Why does everybody think wang - holder is funny ? What does wang holder mean ? Could somebody explain to a guy from Cologne what the funny part about wang holder is ? Sprechen sie englisch ?
I don't understand why you'd hyphenate your name if you weren't famous. I can understand actresses like Jada Pinkett-Smith or Kimberly Williams-Paisley doing it because, quite frankly, no one would know who they were if they completely dropped their maiden name. I think it is a way to honor your husband by taking his name. You are his wife and you have joined his family. It is a sign of respect for him and his heritage.
If the woman wants to keep it that is her prerogative, although I personally would prefer her to take my name, but it is not a deal breaker.





The kids on the other hand I would definitely not want them to have a hyphenated name.
My opinion is either use one or the other but don't hyphenate the names. Both my daughters have four names but two of them are last names. They only go by one of the last names. They can choose to switch to the other if they so desire.
Since each one of us came from a man and a woman I have no problem with hyphenated names. If the hyphened names started including three or more last names, then it can get out of hand and the child's name can be too long.
I don't think it's a bad idea but I would rather keep my last name and have my child use a hyphenated name. He or she can decide what to do with it when he or she gets married.
Good one. If it doesn't make a funny phrase it is a good idea. In the first one, I hope they don't name their kid Harry with the hyphenated last name.
My parents kept their names, and I have a hyphenated last name.





It hasn't caused much confusion, though I do wonder what to do if I get married.
If-women want-to respect-traditions like-being given-a diamond-engagement ring,-etc. why-don't they-also accept-the tradition-of taking-the husband's-name? H-m-m-m?
It's up to the couple. Personally I wouldn't take the guy's name (I'm not joining his family any more than he's joining mine), but he could take mine if he didn't like his own.
Usually, I would say ';who cares?';


But for most of those people, it was a bad idea. Particularly for Miss Crapp and Mr. Beer.
I think women changing their name is like saying ';this man is my master I must take his name'; like what the slave masters did to the slaves.


Women need to create their own family lines.
Hilarious!





Proof positive that you should think carefully about who to marry.
I say sometimes no but the wives like to insist.
Those were hilarious. Follow the link, people!
I prefer a complete name change. It shows commitment and a willingness to make sacrifices. IF she wants to keep her name then she is not fully committed in my opinion.





It would be grounds for calling off the wedding.





No.. I'm NOT kidding
I think its just a women who is trying to assert that she wants to wear the pants. He should find a different woman to marry.
I compromised, I allowed my wife to change her middle name with her maiden name.

No comments:

Post a Comment