Friday, January 15, 2010

How are dual military couples treated?

My husband is in the Army, before we were married, I was in the process of joining the Air Force, but I found out I was pregnant and I was given the option to get discharged and I took it. I have enjoyed being a stay at home mom, but I sometimes would like to pick up where I left off, if I did, that would make us dual military, and I do not know much about dual military, or how they are treated, what rules may apply, any info would be great :)How are dual military couples treated?
My sister and her husband are both in the Air Force and seem to enjoy it. Being in separate branches will be more difficult as there aren't any guarantees they'll be able to get you both within the 50 mile radius they try and allow dual couples. A lot will depend on what each of your MOS's are. If he or you are, say MI, then you may be able to do a tour at just an Army Post or just an AF Base. But, if he's in a Combat MOS then he'll have to stay at an Army Post and you'll have to see if your MOS is supported at that Army Post and if there is an opening you can fill there. If not you'll have to go to an AF Base and he'll have to stay at his Army Post. But, you may want to talk to a recruiter about your situation. I thought about joining the AF a few years ago myself and I, like you, have kids and a husband who is in the Army. My sister told me that I would need a waiver and that the chances of being able to join were slim to none since my husband was active duty in another branch and we had children. She was right; they wouldn't even consider it. The rules may have changed since then; but it's something you should look into before you get your heart set on doing this.How are dual military couples treated?
I love being dual military....but we are the same branch... I'm not too sure how it would be if you were Army/AF. I suppose being stationed at the same location would be more difficult... and deployments too!
I am not aware of any rules that would restrict you from rejoining the Air Force, I think it would be quite difficult to get assignments in the same area. This can be a challenge sometimes for dual military couples in the same branch of service. I would say that you probably need to plan to be very flexible and expect to be separated for fairly significant lengths of time.





Good luck!
Dual military was great for me, but we were in the same branch.





Army/AF i couldn't say but it just sounds like getting stationed together would be a pain in the ***.
  • scars
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment